Re: Hot diodes

Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi Greg.

	What kind of diodes are you using?  If they are rated for 1 amp or
less, they may not be suitable, depending on the value of your doubler
caps.  MOTs can crank out 1.5 to 2 amps depending on their construction
and the load you put on them.  I need 3 amp rated diodes on my "evil"
MOT voltage doubler which uses 2.4 uF 2500VAC caps ;-)).  IMHO, you
should re-build the string using diodes rated for higher current.  Then
you can experiment with "larger" cap values, which can really help TC
output.  BTW, using big doubler caps makes the xfmrs get hot FAST, so
short runs or fancy cooling are in order.  And yes, you can put the
diodes in oil with the transformers, as I think some here have done.

Hope that helps, and good luck :-).
Winston K.