RE: Current in the Coil - was oil dielectric

On 16 May 2002, at 8:05, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

> Hi Malcolm,
>
> Malcolm: >>>Agreed about the heating caused by current, but the current
> flowing in the wires of an air-cored transformer can easily be in the tens
> of Amperes range. Depends how much energy you feed in doesn't it?
>
> Dave T.: >> Point me to a Tesla coil that claims tens of amperes in the
> secondary.
>
> Malcolm: >I can state with confidence that none of the coils I have built
> right down to the smallest have peak currents lower than a milliamp and most
> currents are far higher. ... For an example of a small coil which has
> secondary currents exceeding 1mA (considerably so in fact) I refer you to
> the tssp website which graphs current and voltage profiles for one such
> coil.
>
> I'm still interested in reading about the coils with the tens of amps in the
> secondary if you happen to think of them.  I think I can easily design a
> coil with 1mA in the secondary.  The tens of amps coils would have 10,000
> times more current. I could learn a lot from reading about these monster
> coils.

Electrum is a good example. Waveforms and measurements should be
available from lod's website. You might also contact Richard Hull for
current measurements on some of his (somewhat smaller) coils.

Malcolm