RE: Current in the Coil - was oil dielectric

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Malcolm,

Malcolm: >>>Agreed about the heating caused by current, but the current
flowing in the wires of an air-cored transformer can easily be in the tens
of Amperes range. Depends how much energy you feed in doesn't it?

Dave T.: >> Point me to a Tesla coil that claims tens of amperes in the
secondary.

Malcolm: >I can state with confidence that none of the coils I have built
right down to the smallest have peak currents lower than a milliamp and most
currents are far higher. ... For an example of a small coil which has
secondary currents exceeding 1mA (considerably so in fact) I refer you to
the tssp website which graphs current and voltage profiles for one such
coil.

I'm still interested in reading about the coils with the tens of amps in the
secondary if you happen to think of them.  I think I can easily design a
coil with 1mA in the secondary.  The tens of amps coils would have 10,000
times more current. I could learn a lot from reading about these monster
coils.

Dave