RE: oil dielectric

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Paul,

I suspect you are correct. I have been meaning to ask,  what to construct
the
main support colum out of.

I use the same PVC schedule 40 pipe I use to wind a regular coil.  When the
coil I make is finished, there is oil over the windings, but not in the
center of the coil.  The center of the coil is air.  By putting one PVC pipe
inside of another I have made a jacket.  The outer pipe is held into place
by schedule 40 end caps that have a hole in the center to slide over the
inner pipe.  The joints and cracks are sealed with a good all purpose
sealant.  Where possible, regular pipe cement is used.

I've read that the best core for an air core coil is "air."  Tesla mentioned
that a core of paraffin or oil had somewhat of less performance than an air
coil.

>Finer wire to produce more turns?

Finer wire so I can get more turns per inch.  Since the solenoid will be six
times the wire length of the flat spiral it will be more efficient if the
length of the windings can be reduced.  I want to find the maximum voltage I
can get with this 250 watt power supply.

Dave