Re: oil dielectric

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Xyme3-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 05/12/2002 4:24:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>     There was an article in TCBA News a number of years ago which described
> a 1920's vintage GE HV testing lab.  If I remember correctly,
> one of the devices was indeed an oil-immersed Tesla coil.  Should work
> fine, but messy messy messy.  Once stuff has been in transformer oil it
> is never as nice again.
>
> Ed

Hmm,Tesla used boiled out oils, however the kind of oil was not specified.
Could an oil like peanut oil be used in place of the transformer oil? I
understand it has a very high boiling point.  I also have been reading that
distilled water would accomplish a similar feat, being non-conductive when
distilled. Of the two, which would be the better?  Paul