Re: oil dielectric

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Xyme3-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 05/12/2002 4:27:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> I have done this with my secondary.  It works great for the secondary and
> there is no visible corona at all.  I'm sure this would work well for the
> primary, but then you will not be able to tune with the primary.  Also, I'm
> not sure there is much loss to be prevented in insulating the primary.
>
> Dave

I have read only minor amounts about corona,  but suspect it is not to be
encouraged in the secondary unless you study that sort of thing. I do not know
a lot about Tesla coils, but suspected that the oil would help prevent shorting
out the primary. I understand that spacers are available that would allow a
layer of oil between layers of coil.