Re: magnets in HDs

Original poster: "Dale Nassar by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dnassar-at-i-55-dot-com>

The magnetic field is confined to the space between the two magnets--to
make a parallel field--for the wire-wound end of the read-write head to
intersect perpendicularly for maximum torque--did you notice the coils that
pivot? one part of the coil is confined to one half of the magnet and the
other part to the other half--also if you look at it you will see that the
current flowing in these two parts of the coil are always traveling in
opposite directions--it follows that the magnetic fields in opposite
directions in each half of the pivot space.

Sometimes you see all four magnets--two on top and two on bottom--making
the poles N-to-S from top to bottom on one side and S-to-N from top to
bottom on the other side.  Sometimes the two magnets in the top and bottom
are a solid piece,however it is easily shown that they DO alternate.

One more note:  I once showed a guy the power of this magnet and he said
"Be sure this thing is about 50 yards from your computer"--of course it
actually came from within a couple of inches from the internal drive platters!!

Generally It takes a LOT more magnetic exposure to erase a disk think most
people think.  Take a regular (weak/everyday) magnet and test exposure
times on a floppy disk--you'll be surprised at the determination of the
data to remain intact!