Re: Geek Group Cap mod

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rblaisdell-at-juno-dot-com>

On Mon, 06 May 2002 16:49:22 -0600 "Tesla list"
<<mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz
<<mailto:twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <<mailto:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>

> > >However the creapage path seems to be the weak link. On you
> average
> > >longneck
> > >(assuming salt or brine to the level of the beginning of the
> neck) there is
> > >about 3" of creapage path.
> >
> > About 6 on a Longneck (3 Up and 3 Down)
>
> And how do you get the inner conductor in there without having a
> shorter
> than 3" path?   I suspect that it would be more like a 3" creep path
> on the
> outside, then a 1/4" (or less) path to the inner conductor.  And, if
> it
> were a precision fabricated one like Terry used in his test, the
> ions
> spraying off the corners and edges will definitely cause problems.
> Oil will
> help..
snip

You could use insulated wire for the inner conducture...stripping off the
insulation only
below where the salt water meets the oil...this would give you back the 3 lost
inches of creep path.  Having a cork to hold the wire in the center will
help...make sure the cork has a small vent hole.....  about this size
.

I suppose there is 40kv insulated wire...though I've only used neon wire off of
15kv trannys...I dont know its voltage holdoff rating.

Ry Blaisdell