HV Tester

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

I just picked up a rather useful little tool via E-bay.  Listed as a
meter with a kV scale, I have received an automotive ignition system
tester.  Good condition barring a few oily finger marks and four missing
self-tapping casing screws.  (That'll cost me a fortune to fix ;-)

The scale on this goes up to 35kV, so it may be something that others
might think of looking out for one if going cheap at garage sales, etc.

One thing that I really like about this instrument is that the probes
are very obviously designed to be attached *before* the measurement is
to be taken.  None of this "hold the red probe with the hand on the left
side of the heart muscle and the black probe with the hand on the right
side of the heart muscle" ;-)

NB - the meter is, as I'd guess others would be,  MOVING COIL, so will
only be suitable for DC or pulsed (as in the output of an auto ignition
coil.)  1N4007's are so cheap, I think I may make myself an HV rectifier
for it.

Cheers