RE: Malfunctioning MOT

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Dwight.Crider-at-regulusgroup-dot-com>

A word of caution- If the secondary is shorted to the core, application of
120volts AC could have mixed consequences. Some would be- excess current
and breaker/fuse operation, -generating high voltages via fewer turns in
the shorted feed path. I would never inject 120 volts AC into an
uncharacterized or unknown entity. I would first be sure the windings'  DC
losses were nominal with no measured unexpected shorts. Then I would
consider using the 120 volts AC test  HANDSFREE, if I was sure that it was
being fed into the secondary. Most problems can be isolated with resistance
measurements without risks associated with the AC power. Cheers    ll:>)

Dwight Crider