Re: 1/3hp srsg phase adj cap

In a message dated 5/3/02 12:48:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi All,
>
> If anyone has run an srsg with John Freau's phase adjustment circuit
> with a 1/3HP motor or near, I'm curious what cap value you ended up
> using (if any).
>
> Thanks,
> Bart

Bart,

It seems that some folks needed to use as much as 230uF for
a 1/3HP motor, but other folks needed only 120uF or less.  It
seems to depend on the motor brand and type, the motor RPM,
etc.  I guess the key as usual is to measure the max reso rise
across the motor, and look for a max rise of 5 to 10 volts or so
across the motor at a certain variac setting.  Then check for an
adequate phase shift range.

Cheers,
John