Re: Verify capacitance

><jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

> I was wondering if someone could clue me into how to verify

>capacitance of any given capacitor.

	'best' way is with some sort of a capacitance meter.
	(May or may not be 100%, eg the freq used by the meter
	may vary from that of the coil, which CAN affect
	the indication.)

	It is useful to be aware that commercial caps nameplate
	values can vary significantly from there actual values.

> This is the Mfd rating correct?

	Yep

> I have read many a page referring to some pretty specific

>numbers and was wondering how people came up with these.

	Cap meters, or those including a cap range can be had,
	reasonably economically.

>Also, I would like to check my dual capacitor set up
> and compare it's real value to it calculated one.

	If there is a known value cap, one can run AC thru both
	in series and see what the relative voltage values are,
	voltage will be inversely proportional to the capacitance.

	Observe usual safety precautions, especially if using
	line voltage.

	best
	dwp