Re: first light....sad really, reasons?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Beans45601-at-aol-dot-com>

>Ok, i was excited for my first light, and became sad very fast when i got
>about 1" sparks. I have not completly fisished it yet, i have 2 nails bent
>close together for a spark gap, and my topload is a 1/4 bolt. Are these the
>reasons my results were so bad? also, when i had the RF ground on the
>secondary, i got no sparks, when i took it off, i got my 1" sparks. Does
>anyone know why i got such results?
>Thanks
>Ada,

Hi Adam....

first lights are normally the same all around...  just like the same
results you got the first time. ABYSMAL pathetic woesome...  The true
philosophy of T coiling isnt building them, its tuning them ... ( btw a
truely tuned coil wont put out streamers) we are tuning them for maximum
streamer output, not maximum RF output. :)

you need a bigger topload to start with ....  try anything , an empty
coke can, a ball wrapped in foil ( my first topload was a coke can)

make your bent nail spark gap adjustable, loosen one of the nails so it
turns so you can turn the loose nail closer or further away from the
other nail ( this will give you some adjustability)

take your time and be patient...  write down all the changes you make so
you can go back to the "spot" that had the best results.

search the web for some type of tesla coil "solver" program ( I use
WinTesla) and input the physical parameters of your coil and see what
the program sez your coil should tune at. ( My coils usually tune about
1 turn less than what WinTesla sez)

also if you havent yet, tell us EXACTLY what you used and the sizes of
the wires, tubing, power supply, trannies, etc. of your coil, one of us
will be able to determine the problem you are having.

Scot D

aka Bunnykiller