Re: Richard's mama can whip yo mama

Hi Paul,

On 30 Apr 2002, at 19:19, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul Arrowsmith by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <p_t_arrowsmith-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Bert,
> Good to hear some defence for the Magnifier, the magnificent work Richard
> Hull and his group did seems to be ignored with little follow on work from
> where they left off.
> Magnifiers for some reason are often quickly and unjustifiably criticised on
> this list.
> There has to be some value in the 3rd coil resonating in free space without
> the problems and losses involved with mutual inductance.
> Paul A.

Unfortunately it is not so simple - the 3rd coil is coupled to the
secondary by a piece of wire which in turn may be coupled to the
primary in a number of ways. It is not so much a matter of
"criticizing" the magnifier as it is of quantifying its benefits, if
any, over the 2-coil system. It isn't a matter of faith either. My
views on the subject are a direct result of measurements I've done.

      Transformer faceplate ratings simply don't count - I've pushed
a 300W rated transformer to 5x its rating - easily. What does count
is output vs wallplug draw assuming all else is equal. I've seen
quite a few examples of Richard's work and admire what he's done
greatly. My question then is: how does Nemesis stack up against one
of his magnifiers if wallplug draw is the same? One is forced to make
assumptions that all losses not directly associated with the
secondary system are the same.

Regards,
malcolm

> >From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Richard's mama can whip yo mama
> >Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:08:41 -0600
> >
> >Original poster: "Bert Pool by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> ><txsharpie-at-prodigy-dot-net>
> >
> >Before reading my post below, you might browse this URL:
> >http://hot-streamer-dot-com/pool/GARAGE~1.JPG
> >
> >This coil is kicking out 10+ foot sparks, and later improvements got one 15
> >footer recorded on film.
> >Power is a dinky 1.5 KVA rated potential transformer that I regularly pick
> >up and load into the back of my truck, by my lonesome. I ain't no Arnold
> >and this is certainly no monster pig.  The capacitor is a 0.015 ufd
> >Maxwell.  Think about the biggest sparks you've gotten from your own Two
> >coil systems operated with about 0.015 ufd cap. Several members on this
> >list have seen this magnifier in person.  Now, over the years I have seen a
> >lot of magnificent coils, some of which put out much longer sparks (Greg
> >Leyh, Kevin Eldridge), but I have never seen any Two Coil system duplicate
> >the type of performance this coil gets with so small a capacitor or
> >transformer.  This system is closely modelled on Richard Hull's 11-E
> >magnifier.
> >
> >Now, please understand that I'm not suddenly stepping out of the lurking
> >shadows to tout my coil design abilities - I visited Richard Hull and I
> >stole his magnifier designs fair and square!  I make this post to say that
> >Richard's designs using small caps, large primary inductances and high
> >break rates work, and they work *very* well.   So well, that I make the
> >following challenge:
> >
> >I invite ANY coil builder on this list to post a URL of an honest photo of
> >their own TWO coil system delivering 10+ foot sparks using only a 0.015 ufd
> >capacitor.  You choose the break rate and use any size pole pig you
> >want.  If that's unfair, then limit yourself to a < 2 kva rated potential
> >transformer.  If that's still unfair, limit your resonator to 8 inches by
> >24 inches.
> >
> >In other words, if two coil systems are so damn comparable to a magnifier,
> >show me the sparks!  I know many of you have the right size caps, 'cause
> >the Geeks have sold about a billion of them.
> >
> >Waiting for the sparkin' URL's to pour in. . . .
> >
> >Bert Pool

msnip...