SG electric control Idea - opinions wanted

Original poster: "Cory Roussel by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <imcuddlycory-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hello again,

i have an idea: it is my understanding SCRs and TRIACs
arent fast enough switching and dependable enough to
handle TC spark gap replacement...  it is also my
understanding that a single MOT is not useful as a TC
trannie because it doesnt have near enough voltage for
a reasonable gap, ide like to change this:

My idea involves using a Triggered gap that uses a car
coil to trigger powered by a dimmer switch to adjust
the degree of the cycle it fires at.
  this way you could have a  1" spark gap which would
be MUCH easier to quench then a 1mm spark gap.

secondly my idea involves using a Power TRIAC or
simple transistor in series with the big ugly mot that
is on all the time except a short ammount of time it
turns off all current draw from the MOT shortly after
the TC is done resonating,

i have been told was about 30 cycles, according to my
speedy calculations that is only about 2 degrees of
the AC cycle.  so almost DIRECTLy after the trigger
electrod fires the tranny is basically turned off
untill the next cycle has begun and passed up some of
the lower voltage components of (like 120-600V) it.

problems this may encounter:
- making a module to turn off the triac at the right
time
- protecting your car coil from the dangerous aperage
of tha tank cap, anyone know how this is done?
- low voltage = reduced primary tank energy :-/

why this would be good:
- beginners who dont have NSTs available ( i live in a
pretty large city but i cant find a single one!  then
again im also not really willing to buy one new )
- MOTs are Free!
- NSTs are very fragile i hear...
- MOTs have good charging current- i forget the
equasion to the time it takes to charge a cap (mabey
somone can remind me) but i am pretty sure current is
involved.. faster cap charging might = more BPS
- More efficient?

just an idea,

Cory Roussel
G1206