Re: A few Q's from a beginner

In a message dated 3/30/02 2:29:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Robert,

I am not as confident as you are that the best form is a 45 degree
form.  I also don't see anything difficult about building it.  I also
would not say that a flat primary has less efficiency.  I also would
not say that a solenoid coil has the best coupling or power transfer.
I also would not say that solenoid coils have more racing sparks,
and arc over problems.  Any of the primary shapes can be easily
adjusted to give optimal coupling, and power transfer, without
arc-over or racing sparks.

It's true that a solenoid coil can give the tightest coupling,
but tightest does not necessarily mean optimal.

I've used a flat primary for a tube coil, and that worked fine too,
and was quite efficient.

Certain shapes may have less inductance for a given wire length,
thereby increasing the losses, but the results on spark length
will probably not be noticeable.

Cheers,
John