Re: S.S.T.C. "booster"--expert opinions wanted...

In a message dated 3/28/02 8:25:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Ken, all,

I think the spark length that's produced by a given input power
depends largely on the pulse duration, pulse rate, and toroid
energy storage.  (Of course there must be enough voltage to
break out of the toroid.)

I suspect that the 5mS of power that you feed to the system
after breakout is mostly wasted as far as increasing the
spark length is concerned.  I think this power simply brightens
the spark.  It may be feeding the system at an incorrect
impedance.  I would suggest making the pulses much shorter,
by eliminating most of the 5mS of power feed.  Then this
energy should be used instead to increase the pulse rate.
I think the pulse rate you're using of 16 pulses per second (?)
is much too slow to produce long sparks.  IMO, you need at least
60 PPS, and preferably 120 PPS or so.  These are the kinds of CW
experiments I'd like to do, but never seem to get around to doing.

Cheers,
John