Re: Charging Choke

Lr: Yes there is a good reason. The reason is to disconect the transformer
from the discharge circuit at the time of discharge and prevent a power arc.
The diode acts as an isolation point for reflected current. The impedance of
the two sides of the circuit is low. The only point of high impedance is at
the coil/diode junction point where impedance is high at that one moment of
time allowing current to be isolated at zero crossover of current.If the
diode is placed on the othere side of the coil the diode would be subject to
many times the momentary current and would probibly fail. The circuit
appeares as a series circuit, but timing of ihe current pulses is not every
where the same as it would be in a steady state DC circuit. Reflected
current is not every where the same at the same time. If you use a 1 amp
diode at one point you would require a 3 amp diode to do the same job at the
other point. The only difference is timing of forward and reflected current.
  Robert  H