Transformer laminations

Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>

I have been thinking about making this offer and I decided that I will. For
those wanting to make their own adjustable air gap ballast from E and I
transformer laminations, I have an offer. The company that I work for throws
away some amazing things. I see in the dumpster today 3 large dry-type
distribution transformers. These are 120/240/480 volt transformers which weigh
about 300 pounds each. I have already grabbed one for myself from an earlier
batch. The lamination core of these transformers measures about 18" D, 12" H,
12" W. As you can see, these are BIG laminations. The laminations themselves
consist of interlaced E and I sections. You would have to disassemble the
tranformer and de-interlace the laminations. With this many laminations you
could make about 3 of the Richie Burnett type of ballast or one incredibly
large ballast which I am sure would be able to comfortably ballast 100 amps or
more!

Here is the offer. If anyone expresses interest, I will pull these 3
transformers out of the dumpster and put them aside. Those interested will have
to come and pick them up. I will not even attempt to pack and ship these
things. I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa so I am probably not too close to any
other coilers. By the way, I am not asking any money for these. They are free
to the first 3 people who want them.

I notice that the dumpster is pretty full so I do not know how long it will be
before the company has it emptied. If anyone is interested let me know ASAP.

Steve: Coiling in Iowa