Single gap spacing

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

Hi again,
Well I have designed a new single gap set up to try out and I have a few
questions. It is essentially the same as the air blast gap seen on the
link I provided in the message titled "spark plug experiment".
Instead of 3/4 brass square nosed stock for electrodes, I went with 7/16
shanked, 3/4 dia. bullet nosed/headed, ring gear rivets. Also instead of
1/2
pipe for the blast I went with 1/4 inch as that seemed to provide MORE
than enough air flow to the gap. I will post a pic of this latest
abortion I came up with in the next day or so. It's not pretty but I
think it will work and this is after all just the "first design".

Question:
How much gap should I start out with? With my TCBOR gap I had 5 of .025
each (or.125 total). What is a good place to start with this single gap
set up that I have now? It seems under full air power the gap lengthens
as it rolls up the radius of the rivet heads, so where to begin? I have
it at .050 now.

I will say this, the thing stinks like Ozone to high heaven while
running during the test phase (hooked to just a NST) I take it that’s a
good thing?
I am anxious for the weekend to see what a little quench action will do
for my wimpy coil.
Thanks,
Jim
http://www.jlproduction-dot-com/Tesla.html