Re: electrolytic capacitors/homemade capacitors

Details...well, Thumper was designed with help of Cornell-Dubilier's head of
R&D as a demonstration/research piece for the Group. It's a modular design
and still in the Alpha phase with completeion pending our having the new lab
in a few weeks and space/tools to complete it.

Construction is simple, banks of 20 caps (4 rows of 5) wired in paralell.
banks can be connected in any combination of series/paralell and currently
we are using 4AWG for cap to cap connections and 500kcmil for the main
rails. The finished design will consist of 216 caps (we have 250 in stock)
using 1/4"x1/2" Cu bar for cap-to-cap connections and 6"x1/2" Cu bar for the
main rails.

Charging is through the CB-1 cabinet, variac controlled, current limited, up
to 450VDC and charging time takes under a minute.

Discharge is though whatever we are using that day, usually a simple
pop-can, but we have used work coils and other things (including a 486
motherboard :)) for various demos. We have crushed cans with it, launched
hard-drive rings *through* the ceiling (and roof), and turned several pop
cans into various states of solid/vapor, sometimes leaving only a few grams
of metal left at all.

Discharge is done through a simple crowbar arrangement, no diode, etc, just
the switch, the ringdown is torture on the caps but we've never had one
fail. Thumper has about 150 bangs on it so far.

Currently we are working on encasing the array in 1.25" thick Lexan to make
it safe to demo in front of the public, just in case one of the caps let's
go catastrophicly, since it would immediately become a grenade. The
discharge chamber will be made of a large, reinforced, steel box.

Thumper is one of 4 main cap-discharge demonstrations of the Group, they
are.....

Thumper: a large DC cap bank, 450VDC.

Stomper: Can crusher/ coin shrinker at ~15kVDC*

Groucho: 150kVDC Marx bank using 100 15kV CD caps in oil. This can be seen
at
http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/Images/2002Winterthon%20demos/Demos/pages/Thon03
-23-02%20012_jpg.htm
and is already finished.

Harpo: A 1.5MVDC Marx bank for the Avalon facility.*

*=is waiting on caps to be delivered from Frisco where they have been
collecting dust for over a year while we make arrangements to get them here.
Just this past month we finally solved this problem and have a member who
lives in CA and attends college nearby, he will be bringing them back this
summer! :) Stomper should be finished for the Winter-2003 Teslathon.

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org