Re: photos of MiniSync Rotary Gap

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All, John,

  I've used motors just like that for teeny-tiny SRSG's on some of my
coils.  I typically use 1/16" G-10 circuit board, copper clad on each side,
and etch away all the copper but a thin ring on both sides of the
disc.  Because of the size of the disc and clearance to the motor, I
usually only have electrodes on one side of the disc (the
away-from-the-motor-side), and I've used both 8x32 and 10x32 brass machine
screws with good results.  The small size of the gap and it's good
performance was startling to me, it worked just as well as my old 3/4hp
SRSG on low powered coils, and was much nicer and easier to set up and run.

    The teeny tiny SRSG works well up to about 500w input power, then
electrode wear becomes excessive.  On a 12/30 NST powered coil, and even a
6/30 it worked very well.  It locks into sync easily with the thin disc,
and I've had no trouble at all with vibration or disc integrity. The two
copper traces left on the board seem to handle the current without any
heating. I painted over the copper with clear fingernail polish after I
cleaned the etched board, to prevent it from getting tarnished and
nasty-looking.

   Good work!

At 12:01 PM 3/24/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
>

>All,
>
>I placed a few photos and a description of my new 3.25"
>rotor 120 BPS sync rotary gap at:
>
>   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page6.html
>
>The gap is intended for use with the small TT-32 TC,
>but worked well on the TT-42 TC.
>
>The rotary features a fixed motor, with a phase rotatable
>hub assembly.
>
>Cheers,
>John

Shad (Sundog)
G-2 #1203
"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"