Re: Hello everyone

> I would say that the electrical aspects of the inductances and capacitances
> can be very well modelled. Terry has a bunch of pSpice models for lumped
> models, Antonio has differential equations for just about everything, and
> Paul has numerical and analytical models to address all the subtle details
> of proximity effects, winding inductances, etc.

>  The tough to model aspects are:
> 1) spark gap behavior
> 2) The effect of the sparks coming off the top load.  They are dynamic, have
> inductance, capacitance, and resistance that changes (rapidly) as a function
> of time, and have a significant effect on the overall system.

	Exactly correct.

> The other aspect is that you may be able to model to a thousand decimal
> places, but I doubt your construction tolerances are that tight.  In
> general, 5-10% is reasonably achievable, and if you model and build to that
> accuracy, your model and your actual item will probably match.  If you

	For something like a TC, who cares within 5%?  You can calculate the
resonant frequencies more accurately than that, even with the simplest
approximations, and with care can probably measure the coil dimensions
within a percent.  However, considering what happens when the sparks
begin to fly, why bother?

> My only caution to you is to avoid "analysis paralysis"... Get some parts,
> get one of the spreadsheets or programs, and start building your first coil.

	You can also do just fine with a pencil and paper and some fairly
simple equations.

> Once you get 2" or 3" sparks..(i.e. any sparks), then start to obssess about
> optimizing and performance.  To a large degree tesla coil building is as
> much about mechanical craftsmanship than electrical performance.  All

	With the possible exception of the gap, not much craftmanship is really
needed.  Craftsmanship and appearance a measure of pride and
satisfaction to the builder, but incredibly crude stuff will work pretty
well too.  Have at it with anything you have and you'll probably be
satisfied enough to continue to better things.  I agree that the MMC
concept overcomes the biggest problem to the average builder (me, for
example) which is getting a suitable capacitor.

Have fun,

Ed