Re: Arc Welders as Rheostats??

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "torlin by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <torlin-at-ghostmail-dot-net>

> A few years back when I joined this list for the first
> time, I noticed alot of people with the large pole pigs
> using an arc welder as a form of rheostat to limit current
> to the pig.

	In general, I would expect a an arcwelder to function
	as a variable transformer ('variac'), or, perhaps as a
	variable inductor, rather than a 'rheostat'.  In general,
	rheostat refers to a resistive device....

> Does anyone have this information archived,
> as to the pro's, con's, how's, why's, or why not's??

>  Also, my first pig kept popping the breakers in my garage
> (then again I lived in a mobile home and the garage was
> old).  I haven't plugged in my new pig, here at my new
> house, but can anyone tell me how much amperage a 25KVA by
> 13,200 volt pig will pull??

	Lots.  Someone else posted the math.  Current will
	depend on load, core characteristics, etc.

	Assuming 220vac is now the INPUT voltage, i get 113A
	as full load input current...

	Unballasted, the first half cycle surge can be 10x the
	full load current.  (Which maybe of use in picking
	a breaker....)

	best
	dwp