RE: Mutual Inductance & K Factor

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Malcolm -

Do you know of any computer programs that finds the toroid capacitance when
placed on the TC secondary at the design stage  other than Terry's ETesla6
program? Even Terry's program requires inputs that can be only guestimates.
Here again it is impossible to come to any conclusion about a TC program
because there is not enough test data available to verify what the program
is producing.

However, after the TC is built the actual toroid capacitance can be found by
tests and with the JHCTES or similar program. The unknowns are still
unknowns but their effects on the Tc operating frequency become known. This
frequency is then used with the program to find the true toroid capacitance.
It should be noted that this can only be done with programs that are the
automatic tuning type because several parameters are involved that must be
coordinated.

The 15 to 25% reduction is based on my limited tests. I agree that this
reduction could be much greater when the top load conditions varied from
those that existed when I made the tests.

John Couture