Re: Eithernet Vs. Tesla Coil...

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi,

> Hi all, I've got a deticated room for my coiling and other mayhem.
> Would it be feasable to build a faraday cage to run the coil in?
> I've got 20 - 30 old window screens (something like 5' X 8'..
> they're pretty big) laying around. They're pretty old  so the
> screen material is actually brass or something (not that plasticy
> stuff). Would this work? (And have the whole thing tied to RF
> ground.. )

Cool beans, I imagine that would make a really good faraday cage. If
the screen material is brass, you could easily solder the panels
together at the ends to make for a more RF tight room.....and for
mechanical support of course. If you did things right you could
REALLY block radiated RFI up past 30Mhz or so. This would be a quick
and easy thing to do with a big Weller solder gun, esp. the 260W big
one (it's awesome). Use C-flux.

I would run a dedicated 8 foot copper rod out in the yard somewhere
(not too far out) away from other grounds. Tie the room and the
bottom of your secondaries to it. Tie the metal casings of everything
(neons, enclosures, etc.) to the house ground.

BTW, a 6 foot fencepost driven into wet ground has sufficed for
everything a friend and I have done, which includes a 12" TC running
18kVA at one point. The ground worked fine and it was simple, theres
no need for extravagant systems with multiple 8+ foot rods tied
together with 4" flat strap and saltwater on top. Stick something in
the ground, it will work. Unless you've got serious TVI/EMI problems,
any 'ol ground will do.

Good luck,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP