Re: Potting Diode Strings - yes!

Original poster: "Kevin Ottalini by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ottalini-at-mindspring-dot-com>

Rick:
        There are several types of corona dope, most notably red glyptol
and black "corona dope" both from GC Electronics in small bottles
(other companies make versions too).

Glyptol is a thick red material that is almost like a baked clay when dry
(it can granulate to a dust) and is fairly hard.  Works well for rigid
things
or as a coating, hard to get all the voids out.  I have seen a filled
version
used for air cleaner ion generators (Cockroft multipliers usually).  Not
pretty but cheap. (just keep plastering it on until the corona is
suppressed).

Both usually are designed for thin painted-on coatings and are totally
unsuitable for potting, (I tried) but work well to suppress corona on
junctions and other non-flexing things (black corona dope is more
flexible but easily detaches if flexed).

If nothing else,they are unsuitable for potting because they shrink in
volume tremendously as they dry.

Bill Wysock used a glyptol on the conical secondary at Frys here in
San Jose (Fremont store actually).  The type he found has a nice
shiny red finish when dry.

GC also makes a HV putty (blue if I remember right) that you could
mush all around, but all of these items are very expensive for the
volume you get (not much).

Kevin