Re: MOT secondaries

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

19/03/2002 06:00:12, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "Ben McMillen by way of
Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <spoonman534
-at-yahoo-dot-com>

>Hi all,
>  There's one thing about MOT's that I don't
>understand.. There seems to be
>2 secondary windings.. The first is quite >
obvious.. the two heavy wires
>that connect to the magnetron..

yep, thats a few volts at a few tens of amps
for the filament

> but then there's a second winding, one end
>of which goes to the core and the other to a
>spade lug.. What's this one
>for?

that is the high voltage winding - one end of
which is at ground potential and connected to
the core, the other end is at +/- 2.5 Kv AC or
so.

>Does it have something to do with the voltage
>doubler part of the
>setup?

not sure, but i dont think so - a voltage
doubler would work just as well with any other
thransformer configuration

> Is there anything that can/should be done >
with this?

HT is taken between core and spade lug (ps.
its easier to just cut the wire connected to
the core and solder straight onto it)

 (As in, does it
>pose any kind of potential hazard

Heck yeah - MOT's are lethal little beggars,
2KV -at- 1A = Bye Bye! Always be very sure it is
off befor going near it, ideally have some
sort of indicator (like a little neon bulb
across the trannie - heck thats a good idea)

>and could it be modified to give more
>output voltage?) Thanks for any info..

yes, you can series two with no overstress on
the windings by conecting the cores and taking
HT from the two spade lugs - careful with the
phasing though, you can get 4X with a 2x
voltage overstress by putting another two
either side - you may need to put the outer
pair under oil though.

>Coiling in Pittsburg
>Ben McMillen

regards