SRSG BPS

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hey all,

I've decided to give making a synchronous gap a go, as I want to
directly compare the performance with an ARSG. I'm wondering what BPS
set up is the best to use. The way I see it, to take full avantage of a
synchronous gap, a 100 BPS gap is the go (for the aussie 50Hz power
supply) to allow charging at only the highs and lows of the AC
sinewave. If you increase the break rate above, say, 200 to 400 BPS,
you are essentially losing the advantage that synchronous operation
gives, and I would think you might as well use an asynchronous gap at
these speeds (though an asynchronous gap won't work so well below
300BPS). However, with the higher BPS you can get by with smaller
capacitance in the primary circuit. Alot of people seem to compromise
by using a 200BPS (or 240BPS for you in the US) gap. I'm wondering how
the 200BPS and 100BPS versions compare in practice.

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Queensland, Australia
Phone: 0402 841 677