Ethernet? Re: Eithernet Vs. Tesla Coil...

Tesla list wrote:

> Hi All,

> I was doing some major upgrading of my Tesla coil playrooms (like
> laboratories :-)) this weekend.  Big clean up, electrical work, new lights,
> (I can see now 8-)) and pulling more Eithernet.  Plus the fabulous new
> LabCam in playroom #1 :o))

> http://hot-streamer-dot-com:8080/

> However, I noticed that several Eithernet ports on my LinkSys 5 port
> hub (EFAH05W) were mysteriously blown to bits!!

	Is that like an ETHERNET?

> Mysteriously... These ports were connected to long usually unconnected
> cables near the area were Tesla coils are used....  hmmmmm....
> Obviously a total coincidence... :o))

	I'll Assume this was flatwire?  Cat 5 like stuff?

	Hint:
	Once upon a time, I did (for work) some tests of
	Ethernet noise immunity.  Using (among other threats)
	a small/medium Tesla Coil (ca 3" streamers, unoptimized).

	First test of arc to shield (thickwire)  All seems ok,
	ooooops the lan analyser quit.  Investigate.  ooops.
	Someone Else had forgot to ground the shield, per the
	spec.  And i hadn't checked.

	Next test, same, only w/o lan analyser, ETHERNET ran
	fine with sparks to cable shield (now grounded...).

	But.  That was thickwire, now quasi obsolescent.

	It (as the others) had specific specs for emi withstand,
	radiated susceptibility, and over voltage insulation.

	Cat5, type (etc) will have specs.  Lower.  I've long
	since forgot the actual voltages.

	(there were many more tests: ethernet past the arc welder...)

> But "me thinks" that Ethernet and Tesla coils may not mix well!!

	I'd trust a coax based system, not a flatwire based.

> The ports seemed to just flicker and jump between the 10 and 100
> Mbps modes without ever making real contact.  I wonder if some type
> of termination connector would help protect them?

	Wouldn't hurt.  With the flatwire style, I'd not trust
	it, either for data integrity, nor for immunity from
	destruction.

> So I got a new NetGear FS108 switch now with plenty of "extra"
> ports ;-) (a real super nice switch too!!) so I should be set for a
> few more coil runs.

> It should also speed up hot-streamer since it is a real hot doggy
> "switch" instead of a "hub":

> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/
>
> I'll try to be sure to leave unused long cables disconnected which
> is easy on this "front-loading" 33 activity LEDs Eithernet switch.

	Good plan.

	best
	dwp