Re: Microwave Oven Xfmr source?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Teri Mckenney by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mck-at-ezy-dot-net>

> Matt,
> I don't know if a MOT will work but if you need one I'll send ya one for the
> price of shipping. I slipped the guy at the dump/transfer station 10 bucks
> and now have an unlimmited supply. For any college students who might need a
> little coiling money, take note that most of the ovens I get just need a
> fuse.Pop in a fuse and sell 'em to you're buddies for 10 bucks.(some are
> like new)
> Billy

	The one I picked up by the side of the road just needed a fuse.  When
the Sharp in our kitchen went defunct my wife couldn't wait for me to
fix it, so I went out and got the top rated Sharp and installed it.
Half the price of the original, almost twice the power, but a piece of
junk mechanically.  I'll swear the only steel in it must be in the fan
and turntable motors and the HV transformer.  All of the rest is crappy
plastic.

	When I got around to looking at the old one I found that the power
control triac had literally come apart.  Separated from the heat sink
and fried.  Replaced it with one from the junk box and the thing has
been working fine for a couple of years.

	My bottom line would be that if you pick up a junk one and plan to use
the parts for a TC, don't take it apart and repair it or you may be
unwilling to junk it, and how many extra ovens does one house need?
Perhaps one in the garage for smelly and messy experiments, but that's
about all.

Ed