Re: AWG vs. Diameter

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

> I've never seen any reference to sources of Litz wire, particularly for
> surplus (i.e. cheap!) sources.  Anyone?
>
> Also, if Litz cable is made of numerous small insulated wires, how does one
> solder to an end?  Is the insulation solderable?
>
> Gary Lau
> MA, USA

	There is a group of UK hams who used to have some pretty big litz wire
which came from Decca system loading coils.  Price was only about 10
cents US  per foot in 100 meter lengths, which is very good.
Unfortunately, I think it's all gone and I never saved the exact wire
description.  That's the only "surplus" litz I've seen on the web,
although it's not uncommon to find it at swap meets.  If you do a Google
search you'll find several manufacturers.  As far as I'm concerned, NG
for Tesla Coil secondaries and not worth the bother.  For someone
needing very high Q antenna loading coils or the like it's a quite
different matter.

	As for soldering, the oldest wire used enamel which had to be removed
by scraping, sanding, or application of a flame.  Really tough to do
with fine strands, but with patience by no means impossible - after all,
people using it had to connect somehow!  Some of the more recent wire
has thermaleze or similar insulation which is both tough and "meltable"
with a soldering iron.  Furthermore, the stuff is "self fluxing", making
soldering a snap.

Ed