Re: Thyristors and TCs

Hi John,

On 16 Mar 2002, at 14:02, Tesla list wrote:

<Mildewhaus-at-aol-dot-com>

> Hi guys! I have in my possession 12 Westcode thyristors.The bummer is i
don't
> have the "stats" on them.Westcode hasn't answered my mail yet.These are 3/4
> hockey puck size,hefty little guys.They came out of some monster power
> supplies.Has any one thought of making a solid-state gap with one (or more )
> of these?Is it possible?
>

>   john in nyc

I also have a number of these (and diodes to match). My units are
rated somewhere around 2.5kV and as many Amps. I ran the figures on
these based on the di/dt ratings and came up with the disappointing
result that to run them anywhere near the ratings I would have to
build a coil which resonated around 10kHz or so. For the last few
years they have remained sidelined and are waiting for a more
suitable application.

Regards,
malcolm