Re: Gap Losses (II) Re: Primary Heating

Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Malcolm wrote:
> In answer to your first question, no. In answer to the second, it
> would be interesting to know the relative proportions for
> different circuits.

The same ringdown capture technique that we're discussing for
secondary Q variation could be applied to this.  The software could
extract the VI characteristic of the gap from the waveform.
This could be done an easier way: simply by putting gap V to the
y-amp and gap I to the x-amp of the scope in xy mode.  But to get
the total gap energy lost, you would need to get the data into a
PC, I think.

Indeed, the overall TC efficiency could be measured quite
accurately by digitising the just-below-breakout gap VI waveforms
over a whole beat or two.  That would give enough info to extract
the total loss, and to separate gap loss from everything-else loss.

Effective k factor and beat frequencies could be extracted quite
accurately too.

Might be time for me to start a new program - a general purpose
thing that analyses TC waveforms and spits out numbers.  As a TC
setup tool, it would be second to none.  But how many people
have digital scopes that can download to a PC? It seems that
there could be lots of potential here for breaking some TC
measurement barriers with this kind of approach, so what are the
cheap options for scopes or A/D converters?
--
Paul Nicholson