Re: Mutual Inductance & K Factor

John -

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
>
> One thing that would help is for coilers to agree on the kind of tests to be
> made. This would help to solve some of the many unknowns of the classical
> Tesla coil including the optimum coupling.

True. But we can't have coilers go out and buy scopes simply to gather data.
Most coilers have at least a multimeter with volt and amp capability making
this type of test acheivable.

I use 2 meters side by side for concentric readings. All that is needed from
that point are accurate measurements of the coils.

The primary inner diameter should be measured from the "start" of the winding
diametrically across measuring from center to center of wire. The outer
diameter should also be measured the same way. Everything can be found from
these two measurements.

The secondary needs diameter and winding length measurements (length is easy).
Diameter can vary if former is slightly oblong such as sonotube (pvc holds a
round pattern ok). I measure the circumference and calc the rest. The best way
to measure circumference is to wrap 1 turn with the same wire in which the coil
is wound and measure. This takes into consideration center to center
measurements for small secondary wiring. The turns should also be counted for
accuracy in the programs. If not, all the human/machine error during winding
goes into the program (and human/machine error exist even if you can't see it).

Take care,
Bart