Re: hydrogen? spark gap

In a message dated 3/17/02 5:51:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Al:
> Have you ever considered using a Hydrogen Thyratron.   They're commonly used
> in radar transmitters and can switch hundreds of amps several thousand times
> a second.  Although they're a DC device they'ed be great to pulse a TC.
> I've found them available at surplus sales.
>
> Regards
> Mike Osborne

Mike,

Most hydrogen thyratrons can't handle the two way current
flow in a TC.  Two thyratrons would need to be used, with
suitable switching so neither sees reverse currents.  Richard
Hull once tried such a project, but just used one thyratron,
and pulsed it for only 1/2 cycle, which limited the output.
Maybe someone will try the two thyratron method.  I was
going to try it, but never got around to it.

cheers,
John