Re: 2 transformers?

Tesla list wrote:

><Beans45601-at-aol-dot-com>

> i have a question, probally a stupid one, say you had 2 15kv nst's.
> If you hooked the first on up like you would normaly, but then took
> the output of the first one and put it as the input of the second one,
>would you get 30kv out?

	Nope.
	It would 'try' to get a huge number of volts out, stepping the
	15 KV up about 150 times.  Wouldn't happen for two reasons:
		Insulation of the second transformer would not
		stand up.
		The output current of the first transformer is
		limited to ??mA, which would be insufficient to drive
		the second transformer.

	Now:
	One CAN get to 30 KV with two transformers:

		Connect inputs in parallel.
		Connect outputs in series.
	IMPORTANT:
		The outputs must be connected in the proper PHASE!
		(if wrong, one ends up with '+'15 adding to '-'15
		and getting zero.)

	Certain care in handling grounds of the secondary is
	necessary....

	Phasing:
	(I'll let the more experienced comment....  I know
	how I do it...)

	best
	dwp