RE: Mutual Inductance & K Factor

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Bart -

All the present mutual inductance and K Factor programs are based on
empirical data. The accuracy of the data determines the accuracy 0f the
programs. Unfortunately the necessary testing required for accurate Lm and K
equations has not been done like for the equations that have ben made for
the inductance of a solenoid coil (Wheeler and others).

The JHCTES program is based on older tests than the Java9.1 program so Java
and Acmi may be more accurate. For some time now I have thought that the Lm
and K outputs of the JHCTES were too high. In fact I am working on changes
in the program that involve Lm and K Factor. The problem is that there is
not enough good test data like yours available to justify changes at this
time.  Once the test data becomes available then the more accurate equations
giving more accurate programs can be made. If test data becomes available
for Nolan's TC that will be a big step in the right direction.

One thing that would help is for coilers to agree on the kind of tests to be
made. This would help to solve some of the many unknowns of the classical
Tesla coil including the optimum coupling.

John Couture