I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT!!

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

Hi all,
I have achieved first light on my first coil!!
Please feel free to have a look here...
http://www.jlproduction-dot-com/firstlight.html
The pictures are kinda crappy but not too bad.

A few odd things I noticed and would love to hear opinions on are-

1) The Tesla CAD program determined that between 10 and 11 turns would
achieve tune. It was 8, why was it so far off?

2) After A few good runs I decided to open up the main gap to .050
instead of the .025 it was at. I never saw good light again at least
not like it was at first. It also seemed to start breaking out the upper
most winding of the secondary from then on out as well. Even after I set
them back to .025 it still did the side breakout thing. Close inspection
shows no damage or discoloration AT ALL of any kind on the secondary
though.
Any ideas on that?

3) The safety gap never fired, not once that I saw although looking down
in
the box where it is I tried to avoid for long periods. Is this good or
bad?

I think I will try more toroid and fix all my gaps to a good .025 like
they
were. I was a bit quick on the reset and didn't take much time really.

Any and all thoughts or comments welcome,
Jim Layton