RE: Model T First Light

Original poster: "David Kyle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com>

Hi Bart,

Thank you for the feedback. I had not made the connection regarding a
helix primary diameter and Coupling Coefficient but of course now that
you mention it, it is so obvious. I am kicking myself for not seeing
that before. This is a learn as you go hobby and it sure helps to have a
few masters around to show the way.

I have been reading up on theory in the archives, what a treasure trove,
and I came across some posts regarding optimal Coupling Coefficient (k).
As I understand it between 0.15 - 0.28 k is considered optimal although
it is possible to operate outside those values and many do. Are these
values still considered the norm?

So then I jump to what value would favor a small coil and what might
favor a larger one. Logically I would infer a smaller coil might benefit
from a higher k since it needs maximal energy transfer and being low
power is less likely to be plagued with racing arcs and other symptoms
of over coupling. Where as a larger coil with a big power supply might
require a smaller k to avoid the pitfalls of over coupling. What part
might the coils frequency play in this?

All, please feel free to comment if I have this all wrong.

Dave

Dave Kyle
Austin, TX USA