Re: stacking 1N4007

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 03:44 PM 15/03/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Original poster: "David Huffman by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <huffman-at-fnal.gov>

>Who has stacked up a bunch of 1N4007 to rectify NST outputs? Just wondered
>how many and how well they work. I would like to full-wave rectify a 15KV
>NST for maximum output voltage. Do you have to add C's and R's to the stack?
>Dave

Hi Dave, Coilers,

I've used 1N4007's in series on both a dual MOT level shifter type supply
as well as a conventional half-wave voltage doubler using a 6 K.V. radar
transformer with great success.  Since the diodes are so cheap when you
buy them in quantity ($0.04 each in lots of 100 or more), I took the peak
transformer voltage and doubled it, then divided by 1000 to determine how
many diodes to use.  I didn't use any resistor or capacitors in series
with the diodes as is sometimes advised, and they are standing up fine.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca