Re: Cyclotron effect

Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Hi All

I think Peter is absolutely right - the B field is in serious
decline at the point in the RF cycle where the streamers are
starting to form.

In view of peters comments and the following:

Sundog wrote:
> I set a stack of 12 1/8" thick by 1/2" diameter NIB magnets on
> the toroid (they'll hold up several hundred pounds easily), and
> there was no discernable change in the streamer's behavior.

[spirals remain when relocating streamers away from coil?]
Sundog wrote:
> Most definately. I believe the spiral effect is due to air
> currents and the sharply pinched E field by the breakout point

It looks like B fields are off the boil as an explanation.

I very much appreciated Peter's wonderfully clear summary of the
situation.
--
Paul Nicholson