Re: Experiment - Displacement Current's Magnetic Fields

Hi Paul,

On 12 Mar 2002, at 7:48, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

> [...]
> the 19th century scientific establishment, who were beginning to
> think that they had everything sown up.
>
> This happens all the time now, and we take it for granted.
> For example, you're a mathematician (Dirac) looking for a self-
> consistent description of electrons, one that is compatible with
> relativity, but the math forces you to use objects called 'spinors'
> rather than scalars or vectors, and these in turn force you to a
> prediction that electrons spin, and that there is an undiscovered
> particle which is the opposite of the electron - the positron.
>
> As a general rule, we find that if you make up a mathematical
> description of something that is a) the simplest possible, and b)
> self-consistent, and c) compatible with existing stuff; then as often
> as not, your equations will also *predict* something that you didn't
> know before hand.  You're getting knowledge out of the equations that
> you didn't have to put in.
>
> We can experience this process personally:  Make up the simplest
> possible self-consistent description of a TC resonator, using the
> existing elementary laws of electromagnetics.  You don't have to use
> any math or physics beyond what's taught in high school. The resulting
> equations predict a certain voltage profile, and you measure this and
> confirm that your calculations are right.  Then you persue the
> mathematical consequences of your equations and just as 2+2=4 implies
> 6+6=12, so you find that a certain shape of current profile is an
> inevitable consequence.  For example a predicted feature is that the
> current max is raised a little way above the base, and that sometimes
> the effective inductance can be greater than the DC inductance.
> Of course, these aren't new discoveries in physics, but they are new
> to us, and we can experience the fascination of unsuspected features
> of nature being predicted from the requirement of mathematical self-
> consistency of the descriptions of the features we already know about.
>
> So the measurement of current profiles of certain coils is a nicety,
> to help demonstrate the point, but the outcome will have a certain
> inevitability since you've already validated the voltage profile.
>
> And of course, nowhere along the way is any 'belief' required. Belief
> is quite a counter-productive thing.  If a belief is true, then it
> can be replaced with a self-consistent, validated, reliable and
> productive description.  If a belief is false, then it simply obscures
> what's really going on and prevents progress.  Reliance on belief is
> nearly always fatal for progress - Malcolm's ruler, quarter-wave wire
> length, Corum's nonsense about 'coherence', use of DC inductance at
> resonance, importance of Q factor in impulsed TCs, the endless
> meaningless debates on 'self-capacitance',  the great and silly
> lumped vs transmission-line saga inspired by another Corum-ism.  The
> list goes on into even crankier beliefs.

I hope a crude and early attempt at modelling the resonator through a
mechanical analogy is not taken by anyone as a doctrine. As a first
order description it is probably no worse than any of the other ideas
listed above. But I have been consistent in saying that I thought the
helical resonator was to be regarded as a structure with its own
unique set of properties which none of the models prior to the tssp
effort could describe in complete detail.

> Replace all of these beliefs by self-consistent rational descriptions.
> Check that they are valid. Then explore the mathematically inevitable
> consequences and predict new things.  And so on.  Proceed in this
> fashion in order to make up the for the 'lost century' of work in this
> field.  The process ensures that if there's any exciting 23rd century
> physics waiting to be discovered, its discovery will be kind of
> inevitable, we will notice it when it comes because we will have open
> minds, unhampered by preconceived entrenched beliefs, and we will have
> the wits and methodology to investigate, understand, and exploit it.
> --
> Paul Nicholson
> --

Hear hear!