RE: death of a pancake

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

> To tell you the honest truth, considering how coating affects tape
adhesives, I've come to a conclusion that Dave came to the right basic idea.
That is, to physically hold the wire in place. He used bricks.

It worked well for me.  The coil is finished and came out perfect.  There
are no racers in any of the tests I have performed so far.  The key is too
be patient an allow one section of the coil to fully dry first.  Don't try
to coat the whole coil at one time.

I first coated the coil with three coats of polyurethane (in stages) and
then covered it with one full coat of Envirotex Lite and a second coat of
Envirotex Lite over the outer windings.  The polyurethane was first used to
maximize the amount of sealer that seeps under the coil wires.  The
Envirotex Lite was for saving time.  The package claims one coat of
Envirotex Lite is equivalent to 50 coats of polyurethane.  I thought I would
need two 1/4" sheets of Plexiglas between the primary and secondary.  I'm
still just using one.

BTW, 12 gage magnet wire makes a nice coil.

Dave