Re: Disappointing Results

Original poster: "Tim J by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <digital_raven45-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Disappointing Results
>Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 20:06:10 -0700
>
>Original poster: "David Kyle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com>
>

>I fired up the desktop model T spark coil powered coil with very
>disappointing
>results. It appears that the pulse caps I am using simply short out the
>spark
>coil as I get no spark across my spark gap even when it is nearly closed.
>So
>here is the question: is it my choice of capacitor or have I selected too
>high
>a capacitance value for such a low power coil.
>

>I know very little about the pulse caps I am using other than they are
>rated at
>.05uf at 10KVDC. I put 5 in series to yield a .01uf at 50KVDC. The cap does
>measure out at the correct value and does not have measurable resistance
>with a
>multi-meter. There is no question that when the cap is put across the coil
>it
>simply shorts it out.
>

>The spark coil might be good for about one milliamp but I had not expected
>.01
>would short it out. What value might be more appropriate? Would a doorknob
>cap
>be a better solution for a very low power coil?
>

>Dave

>Dave Kyle
>Austin, TX USA
>Email: dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com
What sort of transformer are you running? If your using small milliamperage
then go with a SMALL cap, say maximum 15 nF.
50nF is WAY WAY too big for small coil as you will never charge it to its
max potiental!!!