RE: JavaTC Major Update version 9.0

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Bart -

Congratulations on the new version of your Java 9.0 TC program. The program
is getting better with every new version. I was particulary interested in
the mutual inductance and K factors  outputs. Both of these parammeters are
low in your program compared to the JHCTES Ver 3.3 program. In fact they
appear to be too low. When I entered 500 turns and 4 inches Pri/Sec distance
for the JHCTES default example I got negative numbers for both the mutual
inductance and the K factor. I wonder if the Acmi program has this problem.

As I have said in the past developing TC programs is not easy. There is an
astronomical number of possible parameter combinations which makes finding
the bugs a very difficut task. It is obvious that using the minimum number
of parameters is a great advantage. However, this means that the program is
less useful. A program with more parameters gives you more information and a
greater insight into the working of Tesla coils. For example I doubt that
any coiler can tell you what happens to the K factor when the primary
capacitor is changed which changes the primary turns. Unless of course he
has a program like yours or mine to check it out.

Our programs are based on test data so many more proper tests are required
before the programs can be made more accurate.

John Couture