Re: C/W Multiplier PSU - Reasons Why Not

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: C/W Multiplier PSU - Reasons Why Not

> Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

> Hi
>
> Thanks for your answer Steve - got me thinking now!  Having the bits, I
> may still put a C/W multiplier together with what I've got, but using a
> string of (20 * 1N4007) for the first stage, MOT diodes thereafter. I
> know it's not quite the way you meant, but I propose to put MOT caps per
> stage s1=1, s2=2[series], s3=3[series], etc, until I run out of
> components!  This would give the diminishing capacitance, whilst also
> increasing the voltage rating per capacitor stage...

You don't need increasing voltage rating per stage... Use those extra caps
in parallel at the bottom... 4 at the bottom, 3 at the next stage, 2 at the
next, and so on.   (Actually, under load, the voltage per stage actually
goes down as you go "up" the stack)

Yes, there are some diagrams around that show the caps going from stage to
ground, but they don't work as well, and, as you have noticed, they require
ever increasing cap voltage.

http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/cw1.htm has diagrams and equations...