Magnequench RSG (was magnetic field with flat spiral)

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Ed, Marc

About 7 years or so ago, Alex Tajnsek, Richard Hull and I was doing experiments
at Richard's Lab using a 20 kV, 2.0kVA PT.  Alex setting on a LARGE piece
of PVC would pull a power arc off the single exposed power connection to
a ground target mounted at the end of a long (10') pvc pipe with grounding
rings midway up pipe (i.e. between Alex and discharger).  A very intimidating
BRIGHT arc would flair as long as 30-36" and was difficult to extinguish.

We then hung from ceiling rafters via a rope a large horseshoe electromagnet
out of a large W.W.II era magnetron.  The magnet was very heavy (about 30 lb..)
and had a throat clearance of about 2-3" between pole pieces, height was about
6-8".  When Alex attempted to pull an power arc, with the magnetic flux
passing horizontally across the power pole of the PT, as the arc was being
pulled upward, the arc sounded like a high frequency Bronx cheer (literally
:^) ), and could not be pulled longer then about 4-5" (maybe even 6" memory
is fuzzy).  It was being blown out (away) from the throat of the magnet as
fast as an arc would appear, and direction of blowout was completely
independent of AC utility wave instantaneous polarity (+/- didn't matter).

This was a dramatic demonstration of the magnetic blowout principle, in a
very cobbled up affair.  That why my comment of a C magnetic structure
with even ceramic magnets may provide enough field intensity to be beneficial
with quenching on the main HV electrodes of a RSG (AS or S)

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA