Re: tube suitable for a coil?

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dspeck-at-relex-dot-com>

Dave,
This tube is a mercury thyratron, the vacuum tube equivalent of an SCR.

Once triggered, it stays in conduction till the anode current goes to zero, not
a useful property for a VTTC.  They can also be damaged by excessive reverse
current after triggering, also a problem in TC work.  The 6 amp current
capacity would not be useful in the tank circuit of a coil, where the currents
tend to be much higher.

I've heard that efforts have been made to use back to back thyratrons to switch
disruptive TC's, but I've not heard of anyone who had any spectacular results.

HTH,
Dave