Re: Coating on Toroid

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> Hi Dave,
>
> On 6 Mar 2002, at 19:46, Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Dave Leddon by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <leddon-at-attbi-dot-com>
> >
> > Geeks,
> >
> > I have now run my coil for a grand total of 15 minutes and have noticed
> > that the luster has gone out of my toroid.  It seems to be coated with a
> > translucent haze which comes off easily went wiped with a cloth.  Is this a
> > chemical reaction between the aluminum and ozone?  The ozone levels have
> > been getting pretty high, I had to flee the garage last night when I was
> > siezed with a prolonged coughing spell after running the coil continuously
> > for about 5 minutes.  Anybody else notice this accumulation on their
toroids?

> > Dave
>
> Par for the course I'm afraid. Aluminium is extremely reactive. Most
> of the time you don't notice as it forms an oxide layer on contact
> with air which prevents further oxidation. In fact, to paint it with
> any degree of success, you have to scrape right through the
> oxidation. This is all the excuse I need for using cooking foil.
>
> Regards,
> malcolm

	The breakdown voltage of the oxide is low enough that can't imagine it
affects TC operation in any measurable way.  As for the accumulation of
stuff on the toroid, I do observe it here and don't attribute it to
oxidation, but just to precipitation of dust and similar junk.  It will
wipe off with the hand and probably affects only appearance, not
performance.

Ed